Jump in with both feet!
Planning to cool off with some water skiing in St. Louis to beat the heat this summer? How about hopping over to Dunlap, Lake St. Louis, or Carlyle Lake for a day with the boat for some floating, and skiing? Sounds exciting, get packing!
- Swimsuits and towels. Check.
- Sunscreen. Check.
- Life jackets. Check.
- Glasses, prescription sunglasses and prescription goggles. Ugh…check.
- Contacts, solution and backup lenses. Blech…check.
Not so excited now, huh? Contacts and glasses can really get in the way of enjoying every moment of summer activities.
That’s one reason why avid water skier Cindy Carter from Lake St. Louis went to Dr. Jason Brinton of Brinton Vision, the St. Louis leader in laser vision correction, for her SBK LASIK procedure. Dr. Brinton is internationally recognized in the field of LASIK and refractive surgery. He graduated from Harvard College, earned his medical doctorate from Harvard Medical School, and is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
“Water skiing was horrible because the water splashes in your face and I worried I’d lose a contact,” Cindy said.
Like many people, Cindy was guilty of wearing her contacts out on the lake.
“Water can cause contacts to change shape, swell and stick to eyes – all of which can scratch the cornea,” said Dr. Brinton, “Lake water can also introduce ameba causing serious irritation and sight-threatening infections.”
Visual freedom through cutting-edge diagnostics
Active people come to us in search of visual freedom they haven’t had in a long time. Our patients begin that journey with a Brinton Vision Ocular Analysis (BVOA), which uses nine state-of-the-art technologies to evaluate and map every aspect of the eyes. Dr. Brinton is among a handful of specialists in the United States trained and adept at using all seven available techniques.
These painless tests check the overall eye health and look for potential problems such as macular degeneration, glaucoma, or cataracts. After we have a fully detailed assessment, our doctors will customize a vision plan with recommendations on the appropriate advanced laser vision correction procedure.
LASIK and more in St. Louis
Technology, education, and dedication are required to provide all of the following treatments, and we are one of only a handful of specialty refractive practices in the United States to do so.
Brinton Vision offers:
- LASIK is an acronym for laser in situ keratomileusis, which is now one of the most successful surgical treatments of any kind in the world today. It corrects farsightedness, nearsightedness, and astigmatism by using a laser to reshape the eye’s cornea.
Six of its modern variations:
- PRK is a laser vision correction solution that works on the outside of the cornea and is for candidates who have special considerations such as thin or irregular corneas or patients who are in certain branches of the armed forces. Advanced PRK corrects nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism (irregularly shaped cornea).
- Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) is an alternative for patients over 50 suffering from Dysfunctional Lens Syndrome (DLS), the natural aging of the eye’s inner lens causing a decrease in clarity and an increase in difficulty reading up close. The aging lens is replaced with a lens that typically gives patients the ability to see up close and far away. RLE is a permanent solution that prevents the vision loss associated with cataracts and means the patient will no longer require cataract surgery later in life.
- SMILE is a single-step, single-laser, minimally invasive procedure that doesn’t disrupt the natural state of the cornea. It has less inflammation and reduces or eliminates dryness of the eye after the procedure.
- SBK or “bladeless LASIK,” is the most modern form of laser eye surgery. SBK is used to treat farsightedness, nearsightedness, presbyopia (another form of farsightedness), and astigmatism (irregularly shaped cornea).
- KARMA® Inlay is an extremely thin, mini-ring with a small pinhole in the center that rests beneath the surface of the eye. With KAMRA®, both eyes see well far away while the inlay eye sees up close too.
- Visian Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) is the first interocular lens developed specifically for people with astigmatism. Our world-renowned Dr. Brinton was the first U.S. refractive surgeon to implant Visian Toric ICL in 2018. The U.S. became the 64th country to use the breakthrough technology following a 14-year FDA approval process.
All of these options offer several benefits for active people: focus at various distances, enhanced peripheral vision, and stability during slow and quick eye movements.
Leading-edge LASIK research and advancement at Brinton Vision
In addition to performing the first Visian Toric ICL in the U.S., Dr. Brinton was the first U.S. eye surgeon to perform the SMILE procedure upon FDA approval. He has helped pioneer new laser eye surgery procedures and been at the forefront of LASIK research and advancement, always ensuring his patients benefit from the latest and best technological advances in diagnostics and laser procedures. Dr. Brinton has been an investigator or sub-investigator on eleven FDA clinical trials. Brinton Vision is one of only a few LASIK surgeons in St. Louis with a practice focused solely on vision correction surgery.
Crossing wakes with clear, crisp vision
Whether you’re water skiing competitively at JAWS Water Ski Lake or with the Lake St. Louis Water Ski Club or enjoy the recreational aspects of the sport at Lake Lou Yaeger or Lake Glenn Shoals and Old Hillsboro Lake in Montgomery County, you can join Cindy and our other patients in appreciating visual freedom while on the water or on the boat.
“Now when I’m water skiing, I can see,” said Cindy. “I wish I’d done it years and years ago!”
Find out if you might be a candidate for LASIK or one of its six modern alternatives by taking our LASIK Self-Test. Or, to learn more about reaching 20/20 in 2020, call 314.375.2020 or book an appointment online for a Brinton Vision Ocular Analysis today.
Brinton Vision is a state-of-the-art LASIK and laser eye surgery center located in St. Louis, Missouri. The practice is dedicated to one goal – changing lives through the priceless gift of sight. Brinton Vision is the only full-time vision correction and eye surgery center in the state of Missouri specializing in LASIK plus all six of its modern variations: SBK, PRK, SMILE, Visian ICL (implantable contact lens), KAMRA® Inlay, and refractive lens exchange (RLE). Patients come to Brinton Vision looking for the most advanced, proven technology found anywhere in the world, even for those who have been told they are not a candidate for LASIK. For more information, call (314) 375-2020 or visit BrintonVision.com.