Eye Drops & Medications:
- #1 Ofloxacin (antibiotic, tan top, 5.0mL/80 drops). Take one drop in procedure eye four times daily – typically breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime – for one week, then stop.
- #2 Prednisolone (steroid, pink/white top, 5.0mL/80 drops). Shake before using. Take one drop in procedure eye four times daily – typically breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime – for two weeks, then decrease to two times daily for 2 weeks, then stop. It is important to work off this drop gradually to avoid rebound inflammation, or an increase in inner eye inflammation that is common after abrupt discontinuation of steroid medication. Notify a Brinton Vision doctor if you have used steroid medicines before or if you start a new steroid medication (pill, cream, mist, inhaler, injection, prednisone, etc.) while taking the drops above. This combination can lead to a painless increase in eye pressure and vision loss. As long as you are taking a steroid eye drop you need to have your eye pressure checked in our office no less than every 4 weeks.
- #3 Prolensa/Bromsite (NSAID, grey top, 3.0mL/5.0mL). Take one drop once a day at bedtime for four weeks then stop.
- #4 Twist-top vials of preservative-free artificial tears Conveniently purchase through pharmacy with other post-operative drops, over the counter, or online. Take one drop 4x per day for 1 month, then taper as needed. These vials can be recapped for multiple uses (9-11 drops per vial), however throw away and use a new vial on the next day. Space out the antibiotic, steroid, NSAID, and artificial tear drops by approximately 5 minutes to avoid “washing out” the previous medication.
For patients with following medical history only: including history of diabetes, uveitis/eye inflammation, macular edema, retinal vein occlusion, retinal detachment, epiretinal membrane/retinal wrinkling – notify a Brinton Vision doctor. We recommend a longer post operative drop regimen to prevent inflammation that can affect your vision. Separating each eye procedure out by 3 months may be recommended by your Brinton Vision doctor. For patients with this medical history only: use #1 as listed above. #2 and #3 will be adjusted as follows with additional drop #4. Use artificial tears as described above under #4.
- #2a Durezol/prednisolone (steroid, 10mL, 160 drops) Shake before Take one drop 4x daily for 2 weeks, 2x daily for 4 weeks, 1x daily for 2 weeks, then stop.
- #3a Prolensa/Bromsite (NSAID, grey top, 0mL/5.0mL). Take one drop once a day at bedtime for nine weeks, starting one week prior to procedure and ending eight weeks after procedure.
- #4a timolol 0.5% (maintains normal eye pressure, 15mL contains 300 drops) one drop 2x daily for 8 weeks (while taking steroid), then Space out the antibiotic, steroid, NSAID, pressure drop, and artificial tear drops by approximately 5 minutes to avoid “washing out” the previous medication.